Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Future of Afghanistan...


Children. I loveeee children. I can't wait to have some of my own but I can wait. Well I feel horrible for the kids around here. When we walk through the streets all they ask for is a pen. They say "pen pen pen" and probably don't know what it means but they get taught to ask for pens. Some of the kids do know what it means. Some of those kids just want a pen to go to school with. 

In the states we grow up asking for iPads, laptops, iPods, new clothes, and the latest gadgets out there but in this country all these kids ask for are pens. Breaks my heart. Some of them don't even have shoes. The tough thing is keeping a balance. Yes I can give a little boy a pen because I carry extra but when you have 20+ kids asking you for pens I just don't have enough for all of them and I don't want them fighting for one pen so I don't give any away.  I told my mother this and she is now sending me a bunch of pencils. How sweet of her.

I cannot believe how big families are here. It's part of their culture though. Family members can be married to each other and a man can have multiple wives. I hear that there are times when a father does not remember which child belongs to which wife. In America we are definitely not used to that but here it's a whole different world. 
He knew my pens were in my left pocket

I made Lt Steuart famous

She's adorable!
I don't know about you but if I was 8 years old and I saw a group of soldiers from some other country walking through my local park I would run away to the cops or to my mama or papa. Not Here. These kids have grown up seeing us in their daily lives. The only thing that changes is the people and uniform but they all they know is that they are soldiers and they kill and fight. They actually attack us asking for help and trying to get our pens or sunglasses. Some even say watch because they want our watches. 

This is their global sign for pen! And like that EVERYWHERE I don't know how. 
The global "can I have a pen" sign
Now this little boy in the photo below was super scared and it's my fault but I'll explain why. I saw the little boy and he had such a nice smile on his face. Well he I quickly lower myself to get to his height and take a photo and he thought it was a gun. He ran away so quick it made me upset to know that he thought I was attacking him when all I wanted was a picture. It made me think though. This little boy must of seen some crazy stuff if he knew what a gun can do to someone. It's surreal.

The scared boy
One thing that many kids do here that is very grateful of them [sarcasm] is throw rocks at us. I mean seriously, we go to the school and donate things to them and play with them and our way out they throw rocks at our vehicles and us. One day I was taking a knee and pulling security and all I felt was my head be hit with something hard. When I look to my left I see all the kids laughing and sticking their tongue out at me. Not much I can do there. Bummers. 

Sgt Farrell and Afghan boys

This little boy was walking alone with no supervision in Qalat City  


 
Overall, the kids here are poor and it makes me sad. I wish I can adopt them all and take them to the states with me but I probably couldn't maintain one with my paycheck. Maybe if I become a billionaire I will. Till then I'll stick to documenting this war...
Im teaching these kids 'the fist bump'

1 comment:

  1. Hey Grovert! I follow your blog now! Miss you back here in Germany! And I have to say, this blog was especially amazing. I loved all the photos! I wanna see more of the kids!

    ReplyDelete